Grand Cherokee Lift Options...Advice welcomed

Ask us for help

Grand Cherokee Lift Options...Advice welcomed

Postby ryan13 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:14 pm

I am going to begin doing some needed maintenance on the 5.9 this summer and really want to start looking at a decent lift for it once all that is done. Ideally I'd like to purchase the kit this fall. I was hoping you fine specimens would have some input as to which direction to go or stay away from...hopefully from experience.

Things I am looking for:

-Complete (or as complete as possible) kit.
-I would prefer a bolt-on over welded...not to say it wont be welded after the fact but my Little Tykes welder won't cut it.

Type of kit:

I am still debating on: a short arm with relocation brackets -OR- a long arm kit
I have read a lot of arguments that have pro's and con's to each system and am still in the R&D phase of this.

GOAL: I want this similar to my 96 XJ in the sense that it was perfect for some light wheeling/trail riding but still remained 100% streetable. I want this 5.9 to last and I want to use it. It will primarily be a camping rig/weekend wheeler.

**Looking at 4-5" of lift to clear 31/32's
**Not looking to upgrade axles right off the bat, but I would consider a HP30/8.25 combo since everything will basically be removed for install as it is.

I've looked at Iron Rock Offroad's 5.5" kit, Rusty's 5" kit and I still need to just take a look at the Clayton kit (even though there isnt a chance in hell I can afford it).

Budget for most lift components will wishfully be around the $2,000 mark.

Any and all input is greatly welcomed. Thanks all!

ryan13

Re: Grand Cherokee Lift Options...Advice welcomed

Postby THE FREAK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:01 am

PVC AND DUCK TAP
For english press 1. For all other languages hang up the phone, learn English, and call back.
THE FREAK

Primary Rig: 94 xj

Postby kastein » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Don't buy the IRO longarm kits... the "critical path" ones with the "revolutionary caster adjustment" anyways.

At least 4 people I know on NAXJA have had them blow the fuck up and/or destroy shocks/front suspension parts/exhaust/driveshaft/steering/etc parts. Several were on pavement when it happened and one ended up in an at-fault collision as a direct result.

They all broke in exactly the way all the IRO naysayers (myself included) said they would, too. Vindication is nice, but I wish it didn't come at the expense of my friends wallets and driving records.
passengers are like martinis... best shaken, not stirred
kastein

Primary Rig: 91 MJ
Secondary Rig: 88 MJ
3rd Rig: 94 Subaru Justy
4th Rig: 88 MJ
Tow Rig: 58 M54A2

Postby THE FREAK » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:46 am

Thats exactly why you sould use PVC/TAPE No what about Nth Degree I have a buy out with rustys so i get 40%off
For english press 1. For all other languages hang up the phone, learn English, and call back.
THE FREAK

Primary Rig: 94 xj

Postby ryan13 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:13 am

THE FREAK wrote:Thats exactly why you sould use PVC/TAPE No what about Nth Degree I have a buy out with rustys so i get 40%off

haha, the PVC and tape would be a hell of a lot cheaper!!!

I haven't looked into Nth degree yet but I definitely will. Dave recommended RE which I will also be doing some research on.
ryan13

Postby ryan13 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 am

kastein wrote:Don't buy the IRO longarm kits... the "critical path" ones with the "revolutionary caster adjustment" anyways.

At least 4 people I know on NAXJA have had them blow the fuck up and/or destroy shocks/front suspension parts/exhaust/driveshaft/steering/etc parts. Several were on pavement when it happened and one ended up in an at-fault collision as a direct result.

They all broke in exactly the way all the IRO naysayers (myself included) said they would, too. Vindication is nice, but I wish it didn't come at the expense of my friends wallets and driving records.

I have heard this warning a few times since I started talking about lifting it and this just solidifies it. I will most likely avoid that setup. Thanks for the heads up Ken.
ryan13

Postby abneron » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 am

Old Man Emu lift can give the best ride quality though this kit is pricey.
abneron

Return to Tech Help