Car RamRod (4wd)

Start a thread showing how you rig got to where it is today.

Car RamRod (4wd)

Postby themangeraaad » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Heads up: Holy shit lotsa pics.

I told myself I wouldn't start a build thread until my rig was wheeling. But I have been having parts coming in and I am bored so I snapped a few pics and figure I will start one now. I have lots of other pictures found in these albums... I didn't post all my pictures :lol:
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... 20repairs/
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp18 ... d%20album/

So right now this is where I "started" at. 3" (actually more like 3.5") BDS lift, 33x12.50 MT baja radial mtx's. Fenders cut and lawn edging flares:

I don't have any pics from years back in stock form or when I had 30'" tires (all were on a camera or phone which are both long gone). Background is that my Jeep was my DD until May 08 when I graduated. I bought a car for a DD and moved to VA for a job that I lost a few months later and came back. The Jeep sat unused for almost a year when I started working on it again in March or so of '09 and finally fired her up again in april/may. While still in storage I stripped out the interior. Lots of rust. These pics make it look good... :lol:
Cargo area:

Drivers floor:

Passenger floor (there actually is no floor, there is a piece of probably 14 or 16 gauge and some stainless covering a huge hole. I started patching that a bit but ran out of time years back:

Into the garage and progress started:

So the rust came out (ignore shitty pic quality):

And steel went in (ignore my shitty welds, first time welding sheet and only like my 3rd time welding ever, first times I wouldn't even call welding :grin: By the time I got to the passenger side I didn't bother grinding welds anymore since they are being covered anyway:

Also, while replacing floors, I replaced the exhaust with a dynomax cat back instead of the cherry bomb side exhaust joke I was running before.

Shortly after finishing the floors I got bumpers from bump:

Drove out to the UJ Xmas party and got some crazy vibs on the way home. Rear axle was shot. Choices were to rebuild and gear it or upgrade...

So then I bought the 9" of Billy and swapped that in, 9" with 4.88s, a detroit, Tom's KA shafts:

(also fixed the drivers door sag for the most part before that last pic and burned some of the paint on my door so I touched it up with black rattle can to protect it) The 9" needed some work so I brought it to baystate to get the D30 geared and such. Ended up the 9" needed new gears, the pinion was shot... so Baystate got new gears in the 9" along with a pinion guard and I got 4.88s, a truetrac, and a ruffstuff cover for the D30.

While swapping in the 9" the brake bleeder snapped off and it brakes were shot anyway, so I got the parts together for a disk swap. Hope to get that done next wkend. Bought the brake parts from a 97 crown vic to swap on, great shape for JY stuff. pads even look new :) Started cleaning them up:

And other random parts I have, most just received:
Shackle relocation brackets, don't know what I am doing with these... I want to use them but I don't want to go any higher with my lift I don't think. Still working on figuring that one out.

all MOOG ends for my 1-ton steering, picking up DOM this wk and probably ordering taps tomorrow:

Random wiring and relays for my key fob operated kill switch

Bumper brackets that I picked up for $65. Yeah I could have made them myself but $65 saved me from buying the steel and saved me time of actaully making them myself. Very nice. I do still need to make unibody tie-ins for my rear bumper before using it for any serious recovery. Just using stock mounting locations for now. Also need to drill out a couple of hte holes where I broke bolts, rear bumper is held on with only 3 bolts per side for now.

KC 69 series, I also have 4 of them in chrome for spare parts. Kinda rusty/beat but could be good for something:

So in the next month I should be having disk brakes and 1-ton steering installed. Then I can finally start breaking the gears in :grin: Then I can finally get my ass out wheeling. I also have Anothony's old 34" LTBs and a set of 33x12.50 truxus MTs. Still deciding which of those will be keepers and which are going back for sale. I think I am keeping the LTBs for when I am doing some "real"/extended wheeling and selling the rest in search of some 34" or 35" MTs for the street/tril use. I also need to find me some D30 axleshafts since I still got the small shitty joints. Oh, yeah, and I got a NP231 with SYE ready to install as soon as I get a V8 ZJ front driveshaft to use out back.

I also have to get some springs or spacers for up front. The bumpers weighed the Jeep down a bit and the 9" gave me a bit of boost I think (pretty much compensated for the bumper) so I gotta level it out up front. Not doing that yet though since once we get some reliably nice weather I am plating the unibody with 3x3x3/16 angle, doing high clearance rockers with 2x6x3/16 rectangle tube, and tying the rockers into the unibody using 1.5"x3/16" square tube (all plated and covered in a semi-boatside type of deal). I am also doing high clearance rear 1/4 areas (cutting out the rear quarters since they are already rotted pretty good) so I will be modifying the rear bumper for clearance and using some of that 2x6x3/16 tube to wrap around and protect the body. That should add plenty of weight and add more sag so maybe once I do that I will be able to add the relocation brackets and new springs up front to level out lift where I want it. I have to wait and see how much it drops. I am also thinking about selling the relocation brackets and doing buggy springs in the rear.

Edit: And I just got a pair of doors today that I am going to use as test samples when I have to cut the doors for the high clearance rockers (don't want to cut my stock ones until I know exactly where they need to be cut). Those ones that I picked up today will be turning into a set of half doors sooner than later though...
93 2 Dr XJ, ~3.5+"
themangeraaad

Primary Rig: 1993 XJ

Re: Car RamRod (4wd)

Postby themangeraaad » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Huzzah, picked up DOM for my steering (no picks, its tube :flipoff2:). Was wondering if my taps would be in by tomorrow afternoon. I came home to a package, relatively small with a bit of weight to it :grin:

Now that I have all the parts and tools (well... mostly) to do my brakes and steering, let's see how long it takes before I motivate myself to get out and do some work. Anyone know someone with a 1/2" tap wrench?
93 2 Dr XJ, ~3.5+"
themangeraaad

Postby alan94zj » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:37 pm

looks good man nice to see another 2 dr :grin:
93 XJ 6.5" 35's
alan94zj

Primary Rig: 93 XJ

Postby themangeraaad » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 pm

Hope to finally get to the trail in May. All that's really keeping me from driving right now is brakes (I have no rear brakes) and steering (steering is super sloppy every since the XJ was up on a lift getting gears installed for a couple weeks). Speaking of which:

I just ordered the bearing kit for the 9" and as soon as that order comes in I am pulling the axleshafts and bringing them to my neighbors shop to get the spacer & new bearings installed. Then the disk brake swap should be a 2-3 hour project until I have brakes again. Then I just have to get the prop valve from a ZJ and install my WJ booster and I should be golden for brakes.

I am getting a stock XJ drag link for $10 later this week and probably picking up a cheap autismzone pitman arm end TRE to hold me over until I get to do the 1-ton setup installed. I really just want to get the steering responsive enough to drive and put some miles on the gears so I can be done with the break-in by the mid-may wheeling trip. I would go straight to the 1-ton except I don't have a bench solid enough to mount a vice to hold the DOM while I tap it... so I get to waste a wkend picking up wood from my grandmothers house and building a bench.

Tomorrow I am picking up 20 ft of 3 x 3 x 3/16 angle to plate the center section of the unibody (from LCA mount back to the front leaf bracket), plus 12 ft of 2 x 6 x 1/4 rectangle for high clearance rockers and 10-12 ft of 2 x 2 x 1/4 square for rocker->unibody tie-in legs. All of which will eventually be plated in semi-boatsides.

And once I get the unibody plated and figure out what size springs I need up front to compensate for the weight I add (and what size tires I am going to run) I have the front clip from a 98+ to trim and swap on. I may actually lose the lawn edging fenders and relocate the stock 98+ fenders when I trim them.
93 2 Dr XJ, ~3.5+"
themangeraaad

Postby themangeraaad » Sat May 01, 2010 4:51 pm

Brakes! :grin:

Just have to bleed them and figure out my e-brake. Minor details. Thinking I might work on the WJ booster swap before bleeding, but I gotta stop by the JY for a ZJ prop valve before I can do that swap.

And I was at NAPA earlier today and forgot to pick up a pitman arm TRE. Might have to run out to advanced and grab one so I can have steering too.
93 2 Dr XJ, ~3.5+"
themangeraaad

Postby BILLYjp2 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:20 pm

mine as well do the master cyl before you bleed everything.
When it comes to armeggedon, i'll drive my jeep cherokee right outta that mess
BILLYjp2

Primary Rig: 2001 XJ
Secondary Rig: 1986 MJ
3rd Rig: 2012 Tacoma

Postby themangeraaad » Fri May 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Electric gremlins be damned! I spent a while checking all my bulbs, and stuff trying to figure out why the lights were acting up. All of them looked good.... Then I decided "what the hell ill swap out the front signal anyway, i got a spare" and now the lights work fine. The bulb looks 100% fine, not burned or anything, but apparently it was causing some minor draw/feedback which was fawking stuff up.

Time to repeat myself... finally ready for an inspection tomorrow morning.

And just got back from a quick drive around town and everything seems to be working still so I should pass inspection this time around. Now I just gotta play with my steering (do an alignment). I have some weird vibs while turning left that I hope go away with an alignment cause idk what else it could be.

Edit :grin: :
93 2 Dr XJ, ~3.5+"
themangeraaad

Return to Rig Build Ups